Monday, February 24, 2014

Gluten....ugh (a non-Jaxon post)


So, this weekend, I inadvertently had couscous in my veggie soup. Sounds yummy, right?
Well, it tasted really good, and I ate about ½ of it before I realized there was couscous. I thought, “I didn’t have that much. I should be ok.” Unfortunately, I’m still feeling the effects the next day… and probably will tomorrow as well.

There are a lot of people who choose to avoid foods and beverages containing gluten. Some people have an actual allergy-celiac. Others are merely "sensitive". There is research suggesting that gluten is "bad" for all of us--at least in great quantities. There is also research that "divides" us into 3 segments--those who have celiac, those who are sensitive, and those who have no adverse reactions whatsoever.

I am one who is "sensitive". Of course, given the nature of life, there are varying degrees of sensitivity. When you tell people it's not an allergy, it's a "sensitivity", they look at you like you're picky and high maintenance. There's also a certain element of a you're-just-being-dramatic look.

Let me dispel the "overly dramatic" myth.
Dizziness. Lightheadedness. Migraines.
Cramps. Bloating. Stomachaches.
Inability to eat, exercise, or otherwise participate in much other than lying curled up in a fetal position. These are the immediate effects. There is nothing that helps. Nothing that takes away the uncomfortableness.

On top of it all, there are residuals that plague me for days afterwards.
Constipation.
Lethargy.
Moodiness.
Foggy-headedness.

This is my life when I have gluten. And I’m not allergic. I do not have celiac. I’ve been tested for it! Can you imagine if I did?? Who knows, maybe the test was wrong. Can a biopsy be wrong?

I don’t know, but when things aren’t labeled correctly or disclosed, it causes great discomfort. For me and others around me. Trust me, if I could, I would. I miss cakes and cookies. I really miss pizza. I miss bread and pasta. Just trust me when I say I “can’t have gluten.” Don’t make me feel like I am overreacting or being dramatic. Don’t tell me to “eat around it” or that a little “won’t be that bad, right?”. That’s insensitive of you.

I don’t miss feeling like crap and being out of commission. Not. At. All.

No comments:

Post a Comment